Watershed Update – March 20, 2023
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of year are below normal, with one site slightly above normal. Water content variances are 61% to 80.4% below normal through the entire Upper Mattagami Watershed, with one site slightly above at 104.7%.
- Current forecasts over the coming week show daytime temperatures ranging from -7°C to +4°C over the next 5 to 7 days with no major weather systems expected.
- Inflows across the Upper Mattagami River watershed are relatively stable at this time and slightly above normal. Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda is complete while Mattagami and Peterlong is underway.
- The enclosed portions of Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff.
- The Authority’s Flood Contingency Plan has been updated and will be distributed to watershed stakeholders the week of March 20, 2023.
The next Update will be issued on or about April 3.
Sign up to have flood alerts sent to your email address.
View OPG River System Data / Water Levels and Flow
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 705-360-2660 or via email at [email protected]
See our Upper Mattagami River Watershed Statistics page to download the current watershed statistics and for the full list of reports for 2023.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.