Watershed Update – March 3, 2023
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of year are below normal. Water content variances are 71% to 93% below normal through the entire Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- Current forecasts over the coming week show daytime temperatures ranging from -8°C to +2°C over the next 5 to 7 days with no major weather systems expected.
- Inflows across the Upper Mattagami River watershed are relatively flat at this time and slightly above normal. Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda is nearing completion while Mattagami and Peterlong is underway.
- The enclosed portions of Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff.
- The Authority’s Flood Contingency Plan is being updated and will be distributed to watershed stakeholders in March.
The next Update will be issued on or about March 20.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 705-360-2660 or via email at [email protected]
See our Upper Mattagami River Watershed Statistics page to download the current watershed statistics and for the full list of reports for 2023.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.