Permits and Planning


On February 16, 2024, the Province approved O. Reg. 41/24: Regulation of Prohibited Activities, Exemptions and Permits under the Conservation Authorities Act. This regulation replaces O. Reg. 165/06: Development, Interference with Wetlands & Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses, effective April 1, 2024. The enactment of O. Reg. 41/24 will also coincide with the proclamation of associated sections within the Conservation Authorities Act.

Are you planning development work near a watershed, river, stream, wetland, slope, or shoreline?
Are you making a change to the vegetation along a shoreline on your property?
Are you making a change to the elevation or grade of your property?

You may require a permit from the Conservation Authority.

Under the Conservation Authorities Act and the City of Timmins By-Law No.2019-8343, the MRCA is responsible for regulating development in these areas. The focus of this program is on the protection of lives and property from flooding and erosion. It also protects the natural features of our watershed and ecosystem.

Development is defined as:

  • the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind, as defined under the Ontario Building Code, and including retaining walls, docks and pools;
  • any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure, increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure;
  • site grading; or
  • the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere.

Site Alteration is defined as:

  • dumping;
  • the removal of topsoil from land, including any lands which are submerged under any watercourse;
  • the alteration of the grade of land by any means including placing fill, clearing and grubbing, the compaction of soil or the creation of impervious surfaces, or any combination of these activities.

See our Regulated Areas page to determine if your development will be in an identified area. The Community PAL interactive online mapping provides information about our regulated areas, including floodplains and wetlands.

The MRCA also provides property inquiry services, and support to the City of Timmins for drinking water source protection and planning reviews including: severance applications, plans for subdivision, official plans, zoning bylaws, drainage reports and environmental assessments.

Contact us to discuss your plans prior to any development, site grading and placing, dumping, or removing any material.

NOTE: An MRCA permit does not replace building permits, or any other permits issued by municipal offices and other government agencies.