Watershed Update – April 4, 2023
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions vary across the watershed… depending on the sample location.
- Water content variances are ~76% below, to ~135% above normal through the entire Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- Current forecasts over the coming week show daytime temperatures ranging from -3°C to +10°C with some mixed precipitation expected over the next 5 to 7 days.
- Inflows across the Upper Mattagami River watershed remain stable and are trending slightly below normal for the end of March. Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda, Mattagami and Peterlong is complete while Wawaitin is ongoing and nearing completion.
- The enclosed portions of Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff.
The next Update will be issued on or about April 18.
Sign up to have flood alerts sent to your email address.
View OPG River System Data / Water Levels and Flow
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 705-360-2660 or via email at [email protected]
See our Upper Mattagami River Watershed Statistics page to download the current watershed statistics and for the full list of reports for 2023.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.