Watershed Update – March 17, 2022
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of year are above normal. Water content variances are 133% to 164% above normal through the entire Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- Current forecasts over the coming week show daytime temperatures ranging from 0°C to +9°C with minimal precipitation expected over the next 5 to 7 days.
- Winter drawdown of Mattagami Lake and Peterlong Lake is ongoing, while drawdown of Mesomikenda Lake is nearing completion. The dams are set up to continue drawdown or hold at the bottom of the range until refill begins in the coming weeks. Inflows are relatively flat and slightly below normal at most sites.
- The enclosed portions of Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff.
- The Timmins Flood Advisory Committee (TFAC) will hold its first meeting Monday March 21, 2022.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 360-2660 or via email at [email protected].
You can sign up to receive emailed flood messages directly by providing your email address.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.