WATERSHED UPDATE – MARCH 3, 2022
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of year are above normal. Water content variances are 116.4% to 171.0% above normal through the entire Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- Current forecasts over the coming week show daytime temperatures ranging from -11°C to -2°C with approximately 20-25 cm of precipitation expected over the next 5 to 7 days.
- Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda, Mattagami Lake and Peterlong is ongoing. The dams are currently set up to continue drawdown until refilling begins in the coming weeks. Inflows were lower than normal leading into winter due to lack of precipitation in the fall and are currently at or slightly below normal.
- The enclosed portions of Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff.
- The Authority’s Flood Contingency Plan was distributed to watershed stakeholders in late February.
The next update will be issued on or about March 17.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 360-2660 or via email at [email protected].
See our Upper Mattagami River Watershed Statistics page to download the current watershed statistics and for the full list of reports for 2022.
You can sign up to receive emailed flood messages directly by providing your email address.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.