WATERSHED UPDATE – MARCH 17, 2021
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of year are below normal. Water content variances are 43% to 90% below normal through the entire Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- Current forecasts over the coming week show daytime temperatures ranging from -3°C to +12°C over the next 5 to 7 days with no major weather systems expected.
- Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda, Mattagami Lake, and Peter Long are complete or near-complete. The dams are set up to hold reservoirs at the current elevation or begin a gradual refill in the coming weeks where appropriate, based on current snow values and above-seasonal temperatures. Wawaitin GS (Kenogamissi) will be drawn in the coming weeks as per normal practice in anticipation of the spring melt.
- The enclosed portions of Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff.
- The Timmins Flood Advisory Committee (TFAC) held its first meeting on March 15, 2021 via video conference.
The next update will be issued on or about April 1, 2021.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 360-2660 or via email at [email protected].
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.