WATERSHED UPDATE – APRIL 16, 2020
Below, you will find the latest Watershed Statistics Update for 2020.
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of the year are above normal, except for the Mattagami and Gogama snowcourse stations, which are slightly below normal at 98.0% and 88.1% respectively. Water content variances, for the other stations are 124.1% to 160.0% above normal through the rest of the Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- A general freeze-thaw cycle is expected over the next week as nighttime temperatures drop below 0°C. Current forecasts show minimal precipitation with no major weather systems expected over the coming week. Daytime temperatures are expected to range from -3°C to +7°C over the next 7 days.
- Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda, Mattagami Lake, Wawaitin and Peter Long have been completed, and where possible, these reservoirs have been drawn lower than normal over the winter in preparation for freshet. As a result of the recent rain and snowmelt, we have seen some of these reservoirs begin to build, and inflows are about normal for this time of year. Storage reservoirs are being managed in consultation with the Timmins Flood Advisory Committee.
- Local area creeks, including Town and Crawford Creek, are in good shape.
Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff for the potential of ice damming.
- OPG River System Data / Water Levels and Flow – www.opg.com/river
- The next Update will be issued on, or about May 1.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 360-2660 or via email at email@example.com.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared. Updates will be issued until such time any flood threat has passed.