WATERSHED UPDATE-APRIL 2, 2020
Below, you will find the latest Watershed Statistics Update for 2020.
- Generally, snow depth and water content conditions for this time of the year are above normal, except for the Porcupine and Shillington snowcourse stations, which are normal and slightly below, respectively. Water content variances, for the other stations are 113.6% to 157.4% above normal through the rest of the Upper Mattagami Watershed.
- Current forecasts show minimal precipitation with no major weather systems expected over the coming week. Daytime temperatures are expected to range from 0°C to +10°C over the next 7 days.
- Winter drawdown of Mesomikenda, Mattagami Lake, Peter Long and Wawaitin are complete and reservoirs are being held near the bottom until the onset of freshet.
- Local area creeks, including Town and Crawford Creek, are in good shape. Town Creek and Crawford Creek are being closely watched by Authority and Municipal staff for the potential of ice damming.
- The Timmins Flood Advisory Committee will commence teleconference meetings April 2.
- The next Update will be issued on or about April 15, 2020.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Conservation Authority at 360-2660 or via email at [email protected].
See our Upper Mattagami River Watershed Statistics Report page to download the current watershed statistics and for the full list of reports for 2020.
The information contained in this update has been gathered by Ontario Power Generation, the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry and the Mattagami Region Conservation Authority. The summary highlights dam operations and storages as well as snow depth and water content in comparison to historical norms. Watershed surveys will be conducted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the snow cover has disappeared.